How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12705
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I rented my home out to live with my elderly mother when my

Customer Question

I rented my home out to live with my elderly mother when my dad died. I'm now 65, do I get a break on property tax? My home is in Gwinnett County Georgia and is my only owned property that I'm keeping with mom dies. Her home is in reverse mortgage and I need my home when she dies. Can I get any tax breaks now. I know I'm not allowed homestead exemption.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.

Hi, yes, if this is a rental, then you report the mortgage interest, property tax and any other expenses (including depreciation on the home) on schedule E, where you report the income.


Here's a fairly exhaustive list of rental expenses


Rental expenses may include the following and are deductible in the year in which they were paid:

    Rental expenses can be deducted from the time the property is made available for rent.

    Expert:  Lane replied 2 years ago.