How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29925
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get a copy of w2 through 2000 I

Customer Question

How can I get a copy of w2 for 1997 through 2000 I
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.

Hi and welcome to our site!

Unfortunately that would not be a simple task....

Generally - transcripts from the IRS are available only for past 6 years and copies of your tax returns - for past three years..

We still may obtain older information from the IRS - but most likely will need a professional help. You may find here some detailed information about requesting and decoding the Individual Master File (IMF) -

.That is the only way to get older information from the IRS system.The following IRS documents provides some additional information on the IRS master file:


If you are looking only for earning records - you may obtain such records from Social Security Administration. If you need a complete work history - you might want to contact SSA - there would not be any charge if that is for retirement reasons.

Here is the form -

Let me know if you need any help with that.

Let me know if you need any help.