How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29951
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to start a company that offers a yearly percentage

Customer Question

i want to start a company that offers a yearly percentage back to my customers based on what they spend or they can choose to reinvest in new products or split that percentage and do if they choose to reinvest the money will be used partly for new products partly for charitable cause. can i be a 5013c
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.

You may run such activity via a 501c3 charitable organization - that is not an issue.
But that sounds a business activity... and as such might be subject to the Unrelated Business Income tax for that charitable organization.

An activity is an unrelated business (and subject to unrelated business income tax) if it meets three requirements:
1.It is a trade or business,
2.It is regularly carried on, and
3.It is not substantially related to furthering the exempt purpose of the organization.


Even though an organization is recognized as tax exempt, it still may be liable for tax on its unrelated business income.

You will find details in following publication