How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29954
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I sold my shares in a family business. The company paid

Customer Question

I sold my shares in a family business. The company paid taxes on the sale. I recieved no paperwork. Do I need to report this sale?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.

If shares were owned by you - yes - you need to report that sale transaction.
It is reported on form 8949 and you will calculate the gain or loss - then results will be transferred to schedule D - and eventually will be on your individual tax return form 1040 line 13.

If the company paid its own taxes - that will not affect your liability.
But if the company paid taxes for you - you will need information - and will be able to use that amount to offset your total tax liability.
Let me know if you need any help with reporting.