Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I Have a hom e that's been vacant couple years but I kept

Customer Question
I Have a hom...
I Have a hom e that's been vacant for a couple years but I kept the yard well maintained and everything and I had moved from one home to another home bigoted exterior inspection have the paperwork for that where they marked everything down yard maintained how secure no violations minor if any this particular day I was just happen to be riding down that street you know I don't take that way that often and I noticed that my door was down they said that the house was scheduled for demolition so I went up to the city and ask them is there anything I can do for them to take it off of demolition they said no the process has started now I had only been 90 days since they first tried to contact me mind you they have houses in the area that they do not maintain their are wide open and unsecured they're choosing to tear down because it's in area where they're trying to force people out what should I do they're telling me I can't pay the fees for the Permit That pulled filing fees and title search and whatnot what can I do to stop the demolition while the house is still standing
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
9/17/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

What city is this?

...

Also, are property taxes paid?

...

Let me know and we can go from there

OK, I still don't see you coming into the chat here, so I'll try to provide some general information.

...

If they've (they city) already gone through the legal process to be demolished, You can go to the city council. ... And then if that doesn't work, file an injunction with the County Common Pleas Court to stop the city.

...
They likely have a process and timeline like Butler County (which I'm familiar with) ...

...

In a case I'm familiar with, first, they determined, on Jan. 7 that the house should be torn down and a demolition order was posted on Jan. 9. ... Then Home America, any lien holder, or anyone interested in buying the home had until Jan. 29 to file an appeal, but no one did.

...

a pretty short time line...

...

Your best bet, at this point, is to file an injunction with the County Court of Common Pleas ... You might plea, that since you were not made aware, and you were a listed owner, your procedural due process rights have been violated.

...

Let me now if you have questions, and we can go from here

...

Lane

...

Depending on who you bought it from, the property may have been sold to you sold “as is.”

...

If that wasn't disclosed you may have recourse against your seller then you may have recourse.

...

Either you signed for it, and the seller disclosed it (information about the demolition) OR your seller may have committed fraud.

If you CAN get the demolition stopped through injunction, then your next step is to bring it up to code

...

Please let me know what questions you may have

...

Lane

...

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS