Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

On California tax, status is RDP: What is status on Federal

Customer Question
Tax, where only one partner...
On California tax, status is RDP: What is status on Federal Tax, where only one partner works (other is disabled)?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
9/17/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Registered domestic partners may not file a federal return using a married filing separately or jointly filing status. Registered domestic partners are not married under state law. Therefore, these taxpayers are not married for federal tax purposes.

The earner may file single and claim the other as a dependent as long as they have lived together fo rteh entire year.

A taxpayer cannot file as head of household if the taxpayer’s only dependent is his or her registered domestic partner. A taxpayer’s registered domestic partner is not one of the specified related individuals in section 152(c) or (d) that qualifies the taxpayer to file as head of household, even if the registered domestic partner is the taxpayer’s dependent.

Court issued its decision in United States v. Windsor. As a result of the Court’s decision, the IRS has ruled that same-sex couples who are married under state law are married for federal tax purposes.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4