Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My daughter who is away at college received a letter during

Customer Question
tax season, from the IRS...
My daughter who is away at college received a letter during tax season, from the IRS trying to verify a return she didn't file. She replied to website online to verify it wasn't her, and that she wouldn't be filing for 2014. However, she has been told by her school that she needs to file to be eligible for her financial aid award this year. she only made 10,000 this year, but she has prepared a return. Should she also send an identity theft affidavit with her return ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/17/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

First of all, that she needs to file is not correct information. Swe can answer a question on the FAFSA for the applicable year that says she does not intend to file - and then tell the financial aid department that she is under the filing threshold (standard deduction personal exemption amount, which at 10,000 she would be).

...

The issue MAY be that she did not answer the question that way on her most recent FAFSA.

...

But if she did, the rep at her school that told her that doesn't understand (1) your daughters right under federal law and (2) Federal Methodology ( a financial aid term of art)

...

The school has no right to require it.

...

However, if she does decide to file, then no,no need to send an affidavit. If she's already authorized for Efile, then he should just go ahead and file .

...

Let me know if you have questions.

...

lane

..

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS