Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I've underpaid estimated taxes on my anticipated total

Customer Question
income from investments during the...
I've underpaid estimated taxes on my anticipated total income from investments during the year, because I'll receive a deferred comp payment of about $40K from a former employer in November The payment is reported on a W2 and taxes withheld as if this and SS were my only income. The payment pushes me into a higher tax bracket and leaves me $10K down from my current estimated tax. The comp payment is technically at risk as an unsecured debt.
Can I solve this by asking my former employer to withhold an additional $10K from the deferred comp?
If this won't work I'm planning to increase my estimated tax payment for at least January and pay a penalty.
Is this correct?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
9/14/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Yes - you may ask your employer to make withholding.
Generally - as that is considered a supplemental wages - not regular wages - your employer should withhold income tax at flat 25% rate without your request.
But you may verify if they plan to make such withholding.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor