Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am an international student living in USA on F-1 visa. I

Customer Question
hi i am an international...
hi i am an international student living in USA on F-1 visa. I recently Got a mail from CITI bank asking me to provide TIN number and after reviewing your accounts. what is W9 ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
9/14/2015
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 2 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

The Form W9 is the IRS form, Request for taxpayer identification number and certification. SEE BELOW:

Purpose of Form

An individual or entity (Form W-9 requester) who is required to file an information

return with the IRS must obtain your correct taxpayer identification number (TIN)

which may be your social security number (SSN), individual taxpayer identification

number (ITIN), adoption taxpayer identification number (ATIN), or employer

identification number (EIN), to report on an information return the amount paid to

you, or other amount reportable on an information return.

----------------------------------

You rec'd the request from Citibank because they need your TIN for tax purposes and they want to verify that the TIN belongs to the actual account holder, which I am assuming is you.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant