How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29577
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Yeah. Can I get simple copy opf 1981 tax retrun that would

Customer Question

Yeah. Can I get simple copy opf 1981 tax retrun that would have copy of my investment on it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately that is NOT possible.
The IRS woudl ONLY provide copies of tax returns for last three years and transcripts for last six years.
However - we still have an option to request that information from the IRS - but it will NOT be in the copy of your actual tax return.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

You still may obtain older information from the IRS - but most likely will need a professional help. You may find here some detailed information about requesting and decoding the Individual Master File (IMF) -
That is the only way to get older information from the IRS system.
The following IRS documents provides some additional information on the IRS master file:
Information about your tax account including informational tax returns (W2, 1099's and similar forms) are stored in electronic versions (not actual copies) - so you need to contact a local CPA to help you decoding that information.
Sorry - there is no simple solution.
If you are looking only for earning records - you may obtain such records from Social Security Administration. If you need a complete work history - you might want to contact SSA - there would not be any charge if that is for retirement reasons.
Here is the form -
Let me know if you need any help with that.