Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Yeah. Can I get simple copy opf 1981 tax retrun that would

Customer Question
Yeah. Can I get...
Yeah. Can I get simple copy opf 1981 tax retrun that would have copy of my investment on it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
9/11/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Unfortunately that is NOT possible.
The IRS woudl ONLY provide copies of tax returns for last three years and transcripts for last six years.
However - we still have an option to request that information from the IRS - but it will NOT be in the copy of your actual tax return.

You still may obtain older information from the IRS - but most likely will need a professional help. You may find here some detailed information about requesting and decoding the Individual Master File (IMF) -http://www.famguardian.org/TaxFreedom/Instructions/0.8ObtAndAnalyzingIMF.htm.
That is the only way to get older information from the IRS system.
The following IRS documents provides some additional information on the IRS master file:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pia/imf_pia.pdf
http://www.irs.gov/irm/part3/irm_03-013-005-cont01.html
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pia/pmf-pia.pdf
.
Information about your tax account including informational tax returns (W2, 1099's and similar forms) are stored in electronic versions (not actual copies) - so you need to contact a local CPA to help you decoding that information.
Sorry - there is no simple solution.
If you are looking only for earning records - you may obtain such records from Social Security Administration. If you need a complete work history - you might want to contact SSA - there would not be any charge if that is for retirement reasons.
Here is the form - http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ssa-7050.pdf
Let me know if you need any help with that.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor