How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29569
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My tax professional (who I've used years), filed federal and

Customer Question

my tax professional (who I've used for 20 years), filed federal and state extensions before April 15,2015 for year ending 2014 taxes for my wife and I filing jointly and an extension for both my son and my daughter.
My tax pro left his firm since he filed these extensions and now had to leave the U.S. to go to Israel for family matters.
What do I do? I was about to send him all our documents i.e. W-2's, 1099's etc... He wants me to send my docs to his new office (out of state) and they will ship the docs to Israel where he would e-file for us.
If I chose another tax pro, can the new tax pros use the extensions that the first tax pro had obtained for our family?
So as the song goes: "should I stay or should I go" . I am nervous since time is now of the essence. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

First of all - if application for extension was timely filed as you indicated - that is a valid extension - and it doesn't matter HOW you will file your tax return.
As long as it will be filed before the due date (including an extension) - it will be considered as filed timely - you may choose to prepare and file your tax return by yourself - may use the same tax preparer or a different tax preparer - or a different tax preparation company - neither will affect the validity of your extension.

Related Tax Questions