How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4670
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If an accountant who had been doing your taxes + years and

Customer Question

If an accountant who had been doing your taxes for 30+ years and did not tell you in your business you had to file quarterly and not at the end of the year and let this go on for 3 years do you have any recourse and what's the statue of limitations for this? Thank you for any help you can give. I never owed taxes in my life and used the same accountant for all these years and in 08 thru 2011 he had me file my business taxes at end of year not paying in quarter payments. Left me owing 135 k. I'm now very sick and the irs closed the account and called it uncollected debt but as I understand they can come back on me at anytime. Is there any way I can get this cpa. To cover the mistakes he made cause I was told my case could be re-opened at anytime. I cannot work cause I have many medical issues.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Also my husband is under another audit when he was on a payment plan now they are making us provide them with every receipt for 2014 and 2015 to date we have been paying 2500 $ in back taxes for 6 years and we're told we would only pay that for six years now they are redoing everything and I have to show receipts for every penny spent since Jan 2014. I'm not an accountant and don't really know h I would to keep up with all reciepts. Any suggestions and this is another accountant than previously mentioned.
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

First, the good thing is the tax and penalty sounds like it is uncollectible. The only thing that will cause IRS to reopen it's case and look for payment is an increase in your income that makes such a payment affordable.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

Now on to damages. You certainly look to pursue damages from your prior CPA. Litigation is possible, but you will have legal costs and an issue: actual damages. If you did not have actual out of pocket damages, litigation might not get you much.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I take any recourse against the accountant or is it to late. I feel like he did not do his job and then through me to the wolf. I will not have the ability to pay. It is upset me because he was my accountant so long. Don't know why he let me go with my busines being filed that way.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I never owed taxes until this issue in my life
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

Your state will be able to support discipline of the CPA, and contacting them is easy. Google your state and CPA license, and the disciplinary bureau will be easy to contact, and free.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He also had me pay a retired tax expert 2500$and she did nothing at all for me
Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

I would start with the Tennessee CPA license group. They will take your complaint and look into things for you.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.