Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Ed, I have a Georgia state tax lien on my credit report. It

Customer Question
Hi Ed, I have a Georgia...
Hi Ed,
I have a Georgia state tax lien on my credit report. It shows it was recorded in Jan 2008. I read online at https://dor.georgia.gov/liens that the lien is released after 7 years, but can also be re-recorded for another 7 years. How can I find out if mine has been re-recorded, and if is hasn't how can I get a release of lien.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
9/9/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Generally after the lien is re-recorded - that information is sent to the credit reporting agencies and reflected on your credit report.
The GA DOT almost certainly re-recorded every lien unless there are special circumstances or a simple mistake.

The Georgia Department of Revenue may publish a list of state tax liens (also known as state tax executions) issued for the collection of delinquent state tax liabilities.

Delinquent Taxpayer List

That is public information - and you may simply search for your name.
Another option - to contact The Private Collection Agency Liaison Section and verify your account - _404_417_6700_

When the lien is attached to your real property - that is recorded in the county where the property is located - so you may verify with the clerk.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor