Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I need to know about my taxes they say I owe as soon as

Customer Question
possible, my late husband took...
I need to know about my taxes they say I owe as soon as possible, my late husband took care of all of this stuff, I think I am going to have a breakdown over this please I need help now
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
9/9/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

If you receive a letter from the IRS about tax assessment - that letter should tell why the IRS assessed additional tax liability.
Can you tell me what exactly that letter tells.

proceeds from Broker and barter exchange transaction's if the broker did not provide an amount in box 3 we used a zero cost basis because we were not able to determine the cost or adjusted basis of stock sold

We should not use ZERO as the basis - as these are real assets - and do have some purchase price.
Using zeros might increase your tax liability dramatically for no reason.
You might want to discuss with the broker - asking to help in determination of the basis depending on when assets were purchased.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor