How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15732
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a failure to file penalty. I had authorized my

Customer Question

I received a failure to file penalty. I had authorized my tax preparer to e-file the tax return He had computer issues that prevented him from filing.
Does my signature on form 8879 show proof of reasonable cause to have the penalty abated?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.


Yes you can request an abatement of the penalty based on the circumstances you posted.

What you should do is of course file, pay any tax due and make your request to abate the penalty at the same time.

If you do not owe tax then no penalty will apply. If you do owe and did not pay by the 15th you will have interest that cannot be abated.

To summarize, you will not have a penalty for not filing if you do not owe tax. Your reason for making the request to abate is valid if you did owe tax and did not pay by 15th.