Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I'm a foreign citizen (Romania), and have co-founded a

Customer Question
Hi, I'm a foreign citizen...
Hi, I'm a foreign citizen (Romania), and have co-founded a company here in the US with a US resident. I co-own it, have been issued shares, and I am the CEO and Secretary, but not an employee. I need the tax number to submit my Election under section 83(b) form. Should I apply for a EIN or for a ITIN? How would I be able to apply?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
9/7/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

... WHat's your entity type ... LLC, Corporation, partnership?

Essentially BOTH will have to be there, but not necessarily for you.

...

Only one with an ITIN (social security number or individual Tax ID (ITIN)) can apply for the EIN.

...

However, the U.S. citizen can be the one (as what's called nominee) to apply for the EIN ... which is required to file a 1065 (partnership return), 1120-S (S-corp), or 1120 (C-Corp) for the business

The term nominee has evolved over the years ... at one time, it meant someone not connected to the entity at all.

...

However, today, The IRS does not authorize the use of non-related nominees to obtain EINs. All EIN applications (mail, fax, phone, electronic) must disclose the name and Taxpayer Identification Number (SSN, ITIN, or EIN) of the true principal officer, general partner, grantor, owner or trustor. This individual or entity, which the IRS will call the “responsible party,” controls, manages, or directs the applicant entity and the disposition of its funds and assets.

...

But again, here, your partner as one of the owners, can do this.

...

taxation on the shares at some but, in terms of the 83(b) election, this would have no value to you if you did not expect to have taxation on the shares (at some point), so for THAT purpose, you WILL need (for the purpose of filing a U.S. return personally) to get a tax ID number for yourself.

...

For THAT you wull need a form W-7: http://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-W-7,-Application-for-IRS-Individual-Taxpayer-Identification-Number

Finally, once you have your own ITIN (INDIVIDUAL tax ID number) then you, yourself, can obtain the EIN for the organization.

Let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

...

If this HAS helped, and you don’t have additional questions, your positive rating … (by clicking or touching the stars or smileys on your screen) … would be appreciated!That’s the only way I'll be credited a portion of what you've paid.

.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS