Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

What are the tax implications of selling my father's house

Customer Question
in NYC and how can...
What are the tax implications of selling my father's house in NYC and how can I lower my liability?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
9/6/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

There are some issues to consider...
- if that house was inherited OR gifted to you? That is important to determine your basis...
- have you used the house as your primary residence? That is important to verify if you qualify for the exclusion?
- was the house used as a business or rental [property?
I will help you to determine expected tax liability.

The first step - to determine the basis...

If the property was inherited - the basis is the fair market value at the time the decedent passed away.
If the property was purchased - the basis is the purchase price.
The basis is adjusted by some items - for instance - improvements will increase the basis.
Then - we need to calculate the gain which is equals to (selling price) MINUS (adjusted basis) MINUS (selling expenses - Realtor fees, etc)

That gain is added to other taxable income - but generally is taxed at reduced rates assuming the property was owned more than a year. Long term capital gain rates are 15% for most taxpayers - but for high income - it might be 20% and for low income 5%.
If the property was used as a primary residence at least two years within last five years before the sale - - up to $250k (for a single seller) may be excluded from taxable income.

NY state income tax rates also depend on total income - between 4% and 8.82%
and finally NYC tax rates are between 2.907% and 3.876%.

Separately from income tax - there is NY transfer tax on real estate sales. Tax is computed at a rate of two dollars for each $500, or fractional part thereof, of consideration. An additional real estate transfer tax (sometimes referred to as the "mansion tax") of 1% of the sale price applies to residences where consideration is $1 million or more.

Let me know if you need help to estimate your expected tax liability.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor