How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a consultant has reimbursable expenses from the same

Customer Question

If a consultant has reimbursable expenses from the same location for twelve months consecutively the expenses become income and are subject to taxation. Is the 12 months within a tax year or rolling calendar? I'm trying to determine if I work six months in one location and six months in another but they are consecutive months and they crossover calendar year neither six months will be taxable because each six months belongs to a different tax year? Is what I'm trying to find out. Best advice... At least
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question -- you're correct -- since you are in each place less than 12 months, and both locations are away from your tax home, then neither place's expense will become taxable income.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.