How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 39164
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Tax Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am needing to secure either a TIN or an EIN of my aunt's

Customer Question

Hi - I am needing to secure either a TIN or an EIN for administration of my aunt's trust. As trustee I would like to handle as much of the work as possible. Can you advise me if there is a difference between the two or is it just in how it is used?
thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.


A TIN is the general term for all IRS taxpayer identification numbers.

An ITIN is used by nonresident/alien individuals who need a TIN but do not have a Social Security Number.

An EIN is used for business entities, which would include a trust.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!