How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3477
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can you amend an 1120S tax return after it has been filed

Customer Question

can you amend an 1120S tax return after it has been filed for a pension contribution to a defined benefit plan?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.

Q: can you amend an 1120S tax return after it has been filed for a pension contribution to a defined benefit plan?

A: Yes.

For an S corporation filing an amended return on Form 1120s:

Where to File: You cannot e-file an amended return. Send the return, along with any schedules that changed, to the address where the original S corporation tax return was file. You can find the appropriate address on Page 3 of the Instructions for Form 1120s.

Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.

Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.

When to File: You must wait until the original return has been filed before you file an amended return. For a credit or refund, you must file within 3 years (including extensions) after the date you filed your original return or within 2 years after the date you paid the tax, whichever is later.


Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.

From the 1120S instructions (Page 6):

Amended Return To correct a previously filed Form 1120S, file an amended Form 1120S and check box H(4) on page 1. Attach a statement that identifies the line number of each amended item, the corrected amount or treatment of the item, and an explanation of the reasons for each change. If the income, deductions, credits, or other information provided to any shareholder on Schedule K-1 is incorrect, file an amended Schedule K-1 (Form 1120S) for that shareholder with the amended Form 1120S. Also give a copy of the amended Schedule K-1 to that shareholder. Check the “Amended K-1” box at the top of the Schedule K-1 to indicate that it is an amended Schedule K-1. A change to the corporation's federal return may affect its state return. This includes changes made as the result of an IRS examination. For more information, contact the state tax agency for the state(s) in which the corporation's return was filed.

Link to Form 1120S instructions: