Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

MY HUSBAND AND I FILED OUR TAXES LATE WITH AN EXTENSION WE

Customer Question
ARE SEPERATED BUT NOT BY...
MY HUSBAND AND I FILED OUR TAXES LATE WITH AN EXTENSION WE ARE SEPERATED BUT NOT BY LAW FOR MANY YEARS WE DO HOWEVERSTAY IN TOUCH SOLELY FOR OUR GRANDCHILDREN I HAVE CANCER AND HE SAID TO PUT THE RETURN IN IS ACCOUNT TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR ME NOW SINCE WE FILE JOINTLY AND HE TOOK ALL THE MONEY AND BLEW IT AT THE CASINO IN STANDISH MI WASNT THE 600.OO IWAS OWED MINE OR DID HE DO THE LEGAL THING I AM IN DEBT AND REALLY REALLY NEEDED THE MONEY FOR MY CAR PAYMENT TO GET ME TO AND FROM CHEMO
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
9/3/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

I am so sorry to hear that about the treatment you received from your husband.

If you filed a joint return and had the refund deposited in one or the other account the IRS will not intervene if one spouse spent all.

Many married taxpayers (even if not living together) choose to file a joint tax return because of certain benefits this filing status allows them. When filing jointly, both taxpayers are jointly and severally liable for the tax and any additions to tax, interest or penalties that arise from the joint return even if they later divorce.

I wish I could advise that the refund could have been split but filing jointly and placing all the refund in one account does not offer protection for both.

I have a meeting but will return in a few hours. If you post below I can respond when I return.

I was checking back to see if you had responded.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4