Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can i write off my car payments if i take out a consumer

Customer Question
loan for the car, or...
can i write off my car payments if i take out a consumer loan for the car, or does it need to be a business loan?
it is a car i use just to go back and fourth to work
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
9/2/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

If you are only using the vehicle to commute to work and not in the course of your business or work as an employee, you cannot deduct the cost or the expense to run the vehicle.

If you use your car in your business, you can deduct car expenses. If you use your car for both business and personal purposes, you must divide your expenses based on actual mileage for business purposes.

If you use your car for business purposes, you ordinarily can deduct car expenses. You generally can use one of the two following methods to figure your deductible expenses.

Standard mileage rate.

Actual car expenses.

Unless you use the vehicle for more than just commuting you can not deduct anything.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

it wouldnt matter if its a personal loan or business if I'm just driving to and from work?

It would not. If you have a business and the business were to buy a vehicle that is used for business purposes then the business could deduct but it gets more complicated as you would need to be the employee to use for personal purposes and you could be taxed on the value of the vehicle.....

Unless this car is used for actual business purposes the loan is not relevant.

My goal is to give you excellent service.
Your positive rating is thanks enough.

Rating lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

it doesnt matter if I'm self employed?

If you are self employed your are a "business" you file the Schedule C to report your income and expenses.

If you are using the vehicle to go to a designated place of business (office or location) that is still commuting. If you use it to travel to numerous business places and your home is your main place of business then that is not commuting. Your can use this as an expense.

As self employed the loan is still not relevant because the self employment flows to you personally along with expenses so the loan type (business or consumer) would not matter.

excellent! thank you
Very overpriced though

You are most welcome.
My goal was to give you excellent service.
Your positive rating is thanks enough

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4