Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My employee asks to have a tax override. He wants to be

Customer Question
taxed at a flat 12%...
My employee asks to have a tax override. He wants to be taxed at a flat 12%. We are working with a payroll service provider and the tax rate the system is calculating is definitely higher. I have done some research on the IRS web site and I think this is not legal. He needs to give us an updated W4 if he is actutally able to decrease his withholdings. Is this correct?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
9/2/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

You are correct. For your employee to request a withholding change he is required to supply you with a W4.

He can request an additional dollar amount to be added to the withholding but not a flat rate.

If he does not complete any W4 then the withholding defaults to Single and Zero.

Tell him it is to his benefit to complete the W4.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4