Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I had an EIN number but did not use it after I sold my

Customer Question
business in 2003. Was I...
I had an EIN number but did not use it after I sold my business in 2003. Was I suppose to close that EIN number?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
9/1/2015
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 2 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

SEE BELOW:

The IRS cannot cancel your EIN. Once an EIN has been assigned to a business entity, it becomes the permanent Federal taxpayer identification number for that entity. Regardless of whether the EIN is ever used to file Federal tax returns, the EIN is never reused or reassigned to another business entity. The EIN will still belong to the business entity and can be used at a later date, should the need arise.

If you receive an EIN but later determine you do not need the number (the new business never started up, for example), the IRS can close your business account.

To close your business account, send us a letter that includes the complete legal name of the entity, the EIN, the business address and the reason you wish to close your account. If you have a copy of the EIN Assignment Notice that was issued when your EIN was assigned, include that when you write to us at:

Internal Revenue Service
Cincinnati, Ohio 45999

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Canceling-an-EIN-Closing-Your-Account

Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant