Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I did not receive a W-2 from one employer. How do I income

Customer Question
I did not receive a...
I did not receive a W-2 from one employer. How do I mark income and taxes as estimated. I requested aa w-2 and filed an extension but have not received w-2.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
8/31/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

There's a specific process for this

...

What you need to do is file what's called a w-2 complaint

See this from IRS:

Like - Click this link to Add this page to your bookmarks Share - Click this link to Share this page through email or social media Print - Click this link to Print this page

W-2 - Additional, Incorrect, Lost, Non-receipt, Omitted

Question: I received an incorrect W-2 form. My former employer won’t issue me a corrected W-2. What should I do?

Answer:

If your attempts to have the incorrect Form W-2 (.pdf), Wage and Tax Statement, corrected by your employer are unsuccessful and it is after February 14, you can request that an IRS representative initiate a Form W-2 complaint. You may call the IRS toll free at(###) ###-####or visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC) in person.

• The IRS will send your employer a letter requesting that they furnish you a corrected Form W-2 within ten days. The letter advises your employer of their responsibilities to provide a correct Form W-2 and of the penalties for failure to do so.
  • The IRS will send you a letter with instructions and Form 4852 (.pdf), Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc. You can use the Form 4852 in the event that your employer does not provide you with the corrected Form W-2 in time to file your tax return.
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS