How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3291
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about NRA tax. I am a non-resident alien

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question about NRA tax. I am a non-resident alien working outside united states, I have a company located in China and provide technical and sales services to whom in China for some US companies, which is known as "funded-head", the US companies and my company make contracts and I am the contractor working for the US companies. I have a personal NRA US bank account. Suppose the US companies directly pay to me (personal US bank account, not to my company), 1. Is it legal? 2. Is there any tax liability (US income tax)? Thank you! ***** will seldom travel to US for vacation.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
typo, I "WILL" have a personal NRA US bank account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to add that:
3. I, as a funded head contractor, work outside the US and provide services in Great China. I personally will travel to US once a year.
4. I plan to hire some employees who are NRA and they will be funded-head contractors just like me. My company will sign the funded-head contracts with the US companies, and the US companies will pay to my personal US bank account. Is it also legal and is there any tax?
Hope I make myself clear ;)
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

Payments to nonresident aliens for work performed OUTSIDE of the United States are neither reportable nor taxable. The payee (you or your company) must provide a completed and signed Form W-8BEN to the U.S. companies certifying that you are a nonresident alien, which they will keep on file.

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,


Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me.

Best regards,