Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm looking at your answer about an RRT1 RRT2 on a w-2

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
8/28/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Yes, how can I help?

Hi ... just checking back on to see if you ever posted your question on Railroad retirement Tier 1 and Tier 2

...

Let me know how I can help

...

Just to post some general information, while I wait for you... there are actually FOUR components (you may already know this) to the railroad retirement annuity.

• Tier 1,
  • Tier 2,
  • Vested Dual Benefit, and the
  • Supplemental Annuity

...

• Tier1's based on earnings under both (1) railroad retirement and (2) social security covered employment.
    • Tier 2 is based ONLY on railroad earnings.
    • The "vested dual benefit" is actually part OF the regular annuity IF you (1) qualified for both railroad retirement and social security benefits before 1975 and (2) met certain vesting requirements.
    • Then finally, a supplemental annuity ma be there if you're age 60 and have at least 30 years of creditable railroad service; OR are age 65 and have 25-29 years of railroad service.

...

We can go deeper on this if you like

...

Let me know

...

Lane

..