Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I did a 1031 exchange of property held by a partnership of

Customer Question
California property to multiple Texas...
I did a 1031 exchange of property held by a partnership of California property to multiple Texas properties. I want to set up new LLC's for each property. Do I recognize a gain on this transfer or does the basis carry over?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
8/28/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Transferring the 1031 replacement property to a Single Member LLC woudl not change the basis in the transferred property nor would it cause the tax deferred treatment of the 1031 to end.

A 1031 exchange followed by a transfer to a single-member LLC (ignored by tax purposes) has passed the Tax Court held that the transfer does not invalidate the tax-free nature of the exchange.

Maloney v. Commissioner,

The court explained that the corporation merely changed the form in which Elysian Fields was held from a corporation owned 100 percent by the individual to the individual’s 100 percent ownership

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4