Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If I convert my 401K TO gOLD. iS THEREE A TAX ADVANTAGE WHEN

Customer Question
If I convert my 401K...
If I convert my 401K TO gOLD . iS THEREE A TAX ADVANTAGE WHEN i HAVE TO SELL IT DUE TO HAVING TO SELL BECAUSE i WOULD BE SELLING THE GOLD INSTEAD OF A STOCK ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
8/26/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

No, no difference at all. Gold is a capital asset, just like stock, real estate owned as an investment, etc.

...

If it's sold and proceeds kept INSIDE the IRA that's not a taxable event (regardless f what the investment is).

...

It's when the asset is DISTRIBUTED (Withdrawn from the IRA) that the tax occurrs - again, regardless of the asset

...

If you find an IRA custodian that will hold the IRA (and there are several) they will likely (1) force you to sell BEFORE withdrawing so that the amount withdrawn can be valued so they can send the 1099-R or (2) force a valuation of the market price of the gold ... for the same reason - they MUST send that 1099-R when the asset is pulled out OF the IRA... It's when you take an assets outside the "shell" of the IRA, that the taxable event occurs

Did you see my answer?

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS