Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I had to do an 83() election file company with two members.

Customer Question

Good morning, I had to do an 83(b) election file for a company with two members. I sent both elections Certified Mail/Return Receipt requested and included with each a self-addressed stamped envelope for return of a stamped copy of the election. I received both green cards back stamped by the IRS but only one letter stamped by the IRS back. Is the green card sufficient proof that the elections were filed within the 30-day timeframe? Thank you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

Yes, the green card is sufficient.

...

Be very sure to send the copy of your election letter when you file your taxes as well

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

To call and ask for the letter would certainly, however, be a best practice

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

One other piece (likely stating the obvious here) Keep the certified mail return receipts ... This shows the good faith effort in the event there's ever a problem