How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15332
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I wrote the check 2014 Fed. taxes, I inadvertently

Customer Question

When I wrote the check for our 2014 Fed. taxes, I inadvertently wrote a different amount than the numbers showed: Where the words SHOULD have read "two thousand three hundred ninety four; for some reason I left out the "three hundred". Naturally the check 'bounced". I have been expecting a letter about paying the year's income tax.
How do I go about sending the money to you"
James H. Morgan *****
Stedman, NC 28391
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


At times taxpayers will call the IRS because they received a Letter 608C, Dishonored Check Penalty Explained, stating that their payment was dishonored and returned from a financial institution (bank) unpaid. This may be the letter you are expecting but the issuance depends on when the check was denied. Generally your bank will probably notify you before you receive the letter from the IRS.

The IRS does not submit checks or other commercial payment instruments a second time for payment. The resubmission of a payment is in the hands of the clearinghouse. When a check or other commercial payment instrument is not paid, the clearinghouse frequently resubmits it to the bank. If your bank will not honor the check then you will need to send another check with a copy of the voucher.

If you do not have a copy of the voucher you can send a new correct check to the IRS using the voucher at the following link

You can go online a pay the IRS.

The IRS page that shows all your payment options is here