Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I repaid SSA $14,393 in August 2013 SSA Overpayment of

Customer Question
I repaid SSA $14,393 in...
I repaid SSA $14,393 in August 2013 for an SSA Overpayment of excess SSA from working and drawing early SSA benefits in 2012. SSA stopped payments in August 2103 and did not resume payments until June 2014. SSA took $13,886.60 of payments in 2014 and showed it on 1099 block 4 and paid me $12,610 in 2014. However they stated my 1099 income block 3 for 2014 was $26497.30 and explained the $13,889.60 as a deduction for work or other adjustments. I say I paid SSA the $13,8866.60 and the paid me $12,610 so I overpaid SSA $1295.90 in 2014.
How can I get the iRS understand the 2014 Block 3 income is incorrect and wrong? One IRS lawyer said Block 4 Benefits repaid go on Line 71 of the 1040 and IRS EL Monte said no. SSA must change the 1099. What can I do? I was sent an intent to levy letter stating I have until SEP 1 tp reya or collction process will start.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
8/22/2015
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist.

The math involved in SSA repayments is a bit involved, but this typically has a reasonable outcome.

It would help if I could look at the notices or underlying math, but I will work with what you provide.

Wrong number. Call(###) ###-####
What was your initial answer? Send more info? This sucks.
I asked you to review the firm's, to support what I am about to tell you. I will use your question text to respond. Based on what you entered, I believe you are incorrect.
I just saw you put in a phone request. If you want to put it in again, i will accept and call you to explain.
PDtax
PDtax
PDtax