Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

EMC011075 ONLY….PLEASE NO ONE ELSE RESPOND TO THIS

QUESTION…EMCO11075 _deductible only to the...

QUESTION…EMCO11075 _deductible only to the extent that all miscellaneous itemized deductions exceed two percent of the taxpayer’s adjusted gross income.25 Thus, the legal expenses will not be fully deductible. Second, taxpayers who are subject to the alternative minimum tax may not deduct any expenses as miscellaneous itemized deductions.26 Third, taxpayers with adjusted gross income in excess of $145,950 ($72,975 if married filing separately) are subject to an overall limitation on itemized deductions.27 Tax Consequences to the Payor. 1. From our continued discussion regarding the Legal Settlements were the person would take the below the line deduction; the $155,000 settlement would be reported on 1040 line 21 Other Income and the Legal Expense would be on Schedule A Line 23 subject to 2% and AMT Tax. According to the above reading this person would have to eliminate all the legal expenses if she made gross income of $145,950 and qualifies for AMT TAX…. Does this refer to the actual tax system calculation of AMT Tax form 6251 line 5 Miscellaneous deductions from Schedule A (Form 1040), line 27 which automatically transferred the $95,000 from schedule A line 23? 2. I assume we do not have to manually eliminate the Attorney Expense from Schedule A line 23?
8/22/2015
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Good Morning, John.

The program should take care of it, you should not have to do it manually. That's what 6251 is for. The amount from Schedule A, line 27 should transfer to 6251 on line 5.

Form 6251 starts with taxable income AGI or AGI minus standard deduction if you don't itemize. Than you add certain deductions, line 2 - 24, to arrive at Alternative minimum taxable income. In part II you will calculate you taxable liability based on the AMT income. Now where it gets interesting. If your taxable liability calculated from Alternative minimum income is more than your tax on line 44 of 1040, the difference is added on line 45 to equal AMT tax liability.

You can check if the program is working. If you reduce the deduction on schedule A, the amount on line 44 of 1040 should go up and line 45 should go down. If you increase your schedule A deduction, line 44 will go down but line 45 will go up, that's the AMT at work.

Interesting….I notice if I zero out all Schedule A Attorney fee the ATM goes to zero and the regular tax on line 44 goes up…creating a higher tax liability of about $3,000…therefore its still good to report Attorney fees because you will still receive some benefit based upon the AMT calculations?

Question regarding SCH CA (540) Part II Adjustment to Federal Itemized Deductions line 41 “Other Adjustments”. I am reading through all the Section Code Explanations of California Law Revenue and Taxation code Article 1 Definition of Gross Income, Adjust Gross Income, Taxable Income, etc…..and I am I’m also reading Instructions for Schedule CA (540) for line 41. Since I’m not a Tax Accountant, when I read through the Section Code Explanations sometime my understanding is not clear. Could my ultimate Control Check Point be: would be the “Instructions for Schedule CA (540)” for line 21 which actually list the tax Fed and State tax difference item and list each item clearly , for example; Mortgage Interest Credit, Health Savings Account, Private Mortgage Insurance etc….So if I think the section code states that I need to eliminate an expense for California but I do not see this item on the Instructions for Schedule CA (540) line 41; would the Sch CA (540) line 41 Instructions listing the Expense items on the Federal Tax return that should be eliminated for California prevail over my interpretation of the Tax Code Section? Have you ever seen an expense item in the Calif. Code Sections state it should be eliminated but were not listed on the Instructions for Sch CA (540) line 41 and the Expense Item was eliminated anyway?

Thank You as Always

Yes, it is still make sense to report attorney fees because AMT doesn't automatically eliminate the deduction, often the deduction is just reduced.

Schedule CA is reconciliation of CA and Federal income. In your case you enter amount of the settlement claimed on federal return on line 21 under, column A. The settlement is included in Federal as well as CA taxable income so you don't do any adjustments in Column B or C for this line. If her only income is social security and the settlement, your only adjustment should be line 20, column B (CA doesn't tax social security income at all).

Regarding line 41, CA allows itemized deduction. Most of the deductions you claim on your federal Schedule A can be claimed on CA itemized deductions, except 2 things state taxes and Ca lottery winnings. As federal will not allow you to deduct federal taxes you paid, most state will not allow you to deduct state taxes you paid. Again, if her only income is social security and the settlement, line 44 (Schedule CA) should same as your itemized deduction.

CA has also AMT, similar to Federal AMT form which will eventually reduce some of the itemized deductions.

Instruction for line 41 lists specific adjustments. If it is not on the list and Attorney fees are not, no adjustment necessary.

The California Question was more a General Question regarding other issues when reading the Federal and State Tax Differences….not in regarding to the Settlement. Do you have a general opinion if the 540 Sch CA will prevail over the Code Section…I ‘m sorry I should have explained this is a separate general question….nothing specific. (If you read the CA question and tell me what you think, it would be appreciated).

Thank You

Schedule CA should follow the revenue and tax code but ultimately you follow the instructions. If there's a discrepancy between the state revenue law and California Franchise board form instructions that's not taxpayer's problem. You file return with CFB and you follow their instructions. When it comes to IRS forms or state tax forms, I usually go by what in instructions, especially if an adjustment not listed in instructions will increase taxable liability. I never volunteer more information than really necessary, why to give them reason to poke around or start asking unnecessary questions?

Excellent.....but if the Franchise Tax Board finds something in the Code Sections that was not in the Instructions and you use the instructions; the franchise could make an adjustment stating it was in the code? It was seem odd and highly unusual that they would leave something out the instructions?

Thanks

No, it is not your responsibility to study the code. And frankly they cannot expect that everybody will understand legal language. To understand the code you need certain level of education or practice reading legal documents. That's where instructions comes in play. Instruction should be plain and simple, easy to understand and follow.

What exactly did you read in tax code that contradict or is not listed as necessary adjustment in instructions?

I’m just trying to understand how the Code Sections relates to the Instructions….I through, I read there could be something in the tax Code Section not in the instructions……Let say a Tax Expert who has all the Education, 30 years of experience etc. and sees something in the code Section not in the Instructions….if the Tax Expert takes the position of following the instructions but sees there are a code section that are not in the instructions and therefore just follows the Instructions:

1. If the Franchise tax Board found the code section but was not in the instructions; the Franchise tax board has the power to adjust the tax liability even though they were not in the instructions?

I am very conservative in doing my personal taxes or anyone close to me….in other words I like to comply to tax law 120% to make sure I am always complying 100% to Tax Law. Myself and everyone around me wants to make sure nothing could come back at them/myself in the future; and we believe in paying our fair share of taxes according to tax law. Your answer will tell me that you can’t be 100% complying to tax law by just following the Tax Instructions, but you must also know all the Tax Section Codes in case they are not in the instructions….and because the Franchise Tax Board has the power to Adjust the Tax Return for this type of situation.

Thanks You

I believe in fair share and I don't think is right that some people quite their job in the middle of the year and than walk away with 4-5K refund, mostly because they know exactly how to play the system. I turned away clients who told me that they were getting paid under the table and had no intention to claim the income. On the other hand, if I can save my client money by claiming a legitimate deduction I have no problem to challenge tax authorities, local, state or IRS.

Does the Franchise tax board has the power to adjust the tax liability even though they were not in the instructions? Yes, they can make the adjustment but it doesn't mean they can get away with it and you can always appeal the decision if you disagree. You are reasonably expected to know tax law but reasonable doesn't mean you have to go out and beyond to research or know all tax section codes. And I can guarantee you, not even tax lawyers knows the entire tax code. Publications are considered a reliable source of information, which means if you rely on publication published by CFB you can dispute the adjustment based on the fact that you used their own approved source of information. You can also engage CA taxpayer advocate services, who specializes in disputes between CFB and taxpayers.

Few years ago I had a client who lost his job and decided to get a professional license to improve his skills. We claimed misplaced worker credit because there was nothing in instructions that would say he cannot take it. The instructions were not specific. The state disallowed his credit with explanation that my client was not registered with the state work placement agency and he didn't register for the approved classes. I responded with a copy of the paragraph from instruction booklet that was specifically talking about the credit, asking why the instructions don't mention anything about the requirements. They responded with a letter approving the credit. They had no ground for dispute, I used their own resources.

From my experience, at least 1/3 of notices sent by various tax authorities are just fishing around, a new strategy to increase revenue since certain percentage will never respond or will accept the change without questioning it. In many cases all it needs is a simple explanation. Between 2001 and 2009 number of IRS notices increased by more 500%. And the reason is not because there are more incorrect returns, the main reason is that because of the budget cuts, IRS had to cut number of agents and the responsibility to investigate/explain had been shifted on prepares. We have no increased responsibility to question every notice if there's a ground for adjustments. And I am pretty sure CFB face the same problems.

emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
John, thank you for your positive rating. If you have any further questions about this topic you can return to this post and I will be more than happy to answer them.
Have a great weekend.

GENERAL CODE QUESTIONS:

This is repeated in several sections of the tax code:

shall not apply to any deduction in excess of the amount includible in the taxpayer’s gross income for the taxable year

I assume this could only mean the Expense can’t Exceed or be Greater than the Income?

Let me know if this I a different topic question.

Thank You as Always,

That's right. If you have expenses associated with producing income, for example attorney fees to seek settlement, to sue ex-spouse for alimony, expenses associated with hobby income, not-for-profit rental income as well as expenses associated with investments (trading, real estate), you can deduct those expenses but only up to the income included in your AGI. For instance if you rent out your vacation home for less than fair market value (not for profit renting) and you receive $1200 rental income, you can only deduct $1200 of expenses. If you like painting and received $800, you can only deduct $800 in expenses. And you will not be able to deduct any expenses, if income is nontaxable. A common example is tax free inheritance child support. If you pay attorney to get your inheritance, you will not be able to deduct the fees at all.

No need to rate this respond. I will consider it follow up question.

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser