Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Can you be arrested filing tax returns?

Customer Question
Can you be arrested for...
Can you be arrested for not filing tax returns?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
8/21/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Hello
Not at first.
If you do not file your taxes the IRS will complete one for you. Then they will send numerous notices advising about the substitute return the completed. Then numerous bills.
The consequences for ignoring an IRS bill can have worse penalties than warning letters. After sending multiple correspondences regarding an unpaid tax bill, the IRS will send a representative to your residence or business to collect payment – typically if you owe a lot you could be arrested.
A tax payer is not arrested though juts for not filing their return.
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4