How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15732
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mother passed away in Northern Ireland almost two years

Customer Question

my mother passed away in Northern Ireland almost two years ago and left the family home to myself and another person. This property is now being sold and a buyer found. The anticipated monies that i will receive are $230.000 (Australian dollars). This will be tranferred into my Australian bank. Will I be liable for capital gains tax ?
How much tax can I expect to have to pay to the Tax Office?
Is there a way to transfer money that will give me the best exchange rate and minimise costs?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.


If you’re an Australian resident, CGT applies to your assets anywhere in the world.

You will need to know the value of the property on the date your mother passed away. This will count as your cost and you would only pay CGT on the difference in cost and sell price (for your portion). You will split the cost and sell price in half for your calculations.

You pay tax on your capital gains. It forms part of your income tax and is not considered a separate tax – though it's referred to as capital gains tax (CGT).

If you have no gain then you would not pay tax on the sell.

Your question about transfer is outside the scope of taxation. You may wish to use your own bank for the transfer. Fees are generally lower.