Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My spouse died and i inherited s ira. I have had to pay

Customer Question
my spouse died and i...
my spouse died and i inherited his ira. I have had to pay attorney fees with 1/3 of the ira and others. now i hear i have to pay $70k in taxes. federal taxes were with held but i am under 59 and a half. I can't afford this what should i do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
8/20/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

WHen you inherit a spouse's IRA you can either receive the money as a distribution or treat the IRA as your own and have it rolled into an IRA under your name. If you take the money and do not roll it over into an IRA under your name then it is taxable.

Even if you are under 59 1/2 you are not charged the added 10% penalty. That is because it is inherited.

If you truly owe the $70k in taxes you can request an Installment agreement. This will allow you to pay over time.

The amount that was withheld for tax acts as a payment when you file your return (like your withholding does on your W2). Make certain you have shown the taxes withheld on your return so you are credited with that payment).

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4