Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If a c-corp converts to an s-corp, is the basis of the

Customer Question
s-corp stock at the time...
If a c-corp converts to an s-corp, is the basis of the s-corp stock at the time of conversion equal to the net equity of the c-corp?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
8/20/2015
Tax Professional: PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 2 years ago
PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax. I can assist.

The answer to the s corp basis is that the shareholder retains their original basis in the shares. Subsequent C corp profits, retained earnings, C corp. dividends have no impact on the basis.

To have any other treatment would allow for a circumvention of the C corp tax rules, for a tax at the corporate level and a tax when income is distributed to the shareholder.

So, your basis in the C shares will be the basis in the shares once converted to s.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

PDtax
PDtax