Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I had a house built in Phily Construction started in the

Customer Question
fall 2014 and finished in...
I had a house built in Phily Construction started in the fall 2014 and finished in spring 2015 I sold house at end of July 2015 Is every bill that went into that house construction tax deductible
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
8/18/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

The amounts you spent to construct the house would be added together with the cost to form your basis.

These costs are called the basis of the property and can be deducted when the home is sold. The costs that must be included in the basis of the home are:

• Land
  • Materials
  • Labor (paid but not your own)

The costs to build are all added for the basis and this would reduce the gain.

The amount it cost you to complete the house, including:

1. The cost of labor and materials, 2. Any amounts paid to a contractor, 3. Any architect's fees,

4. Building permit charges, 5. Utility meter and connection charges, 6. Legal fees directly connected with building the house

Please advise if you need more information or rate positively.

What's about taxes and design fees and permits costs plus utility bills during the construction

Some of those costs are allowed.

The design fees and permit costs.

The utility bills would be but only for business.If this was a home specifically built to sell then yes, those costs are included.

Taxes are allowed but it depends which taxes. If real estate taxes they are claimed on Schedule A or the if business on the business return.

it does not matter if some of the bill are in 2014 and others in 2015

That is correct , the costs are added to basis when sold. This is true even if over 2 years

I hope that was helpful

My goal is to give you excellent service.
Your positive rating is thanks enough

Rating lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4