Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If you Live in Pennsylvania and play and enter a sweepstakes…

If you Live in Pennsylvania...
If you Live in Pennsylvania and play and enter a sweepstakes from Europe do you have to pay the taxes on that money before it's given to you or can you fill out a W2-G form at tax time
8/17/2015
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

No, he W-2 G is what a US entity (such as a lottery or casino) would send TO you (and IRS) to report winnings

What you'll have todo here is report the full amount of your winnigs on the “other income” line of your tax return. If you itemize your deductions and have costs to play where you did NOT win, you do have the option of deducting them on Schedule A to reduce your taxable income, and ultimately, the amount of tax you'll owe on the foreign prize. But if you choose to take the standard deduction instead of itemizing, you don't get to deduct those sweepstakes participation costs (if any).

you'll see "Other Income on line 21 of the 1040... where it says ..

..

"21 Other income. List type and amount ............................ 21 ___________"

Now, if this is oing to reatly increase oyur taxes you CAN use estimated payments to be sure you won't have an underpayment penalty

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi, Thanks for the accept.

...

Here's the PA stty General's office consumer complaing form site:

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/MainSite/Content/ComplaintForms/BCP_Complaint_Form.pdf

...

Here's the Federal Trade Commission's Consumer Protection Bureau site:

https://www.ftc.gov/about-ftc/bureaus-offices/bureau-consumer-protection

...

Here's the contact page for Atty general:

http://www.revenue.pa.gov/GetAssistance/ContactUsbyPhone/Pages/default.aspx#.VdIdxtQViko

...

And here's the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

http://www.consumerfinance.gov/

...

Again, this "CPA" supposedly standing for Consumer Protection Agency, is a fabricated name

And, as we discussed, the real agencies don't just call you out of the blue and tell you about money you've won.... telling you to send taxes ahead of time.

THis is a scam.

...

Hope this helps

...

Let me know how it goes