Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Am i entitled to a refund of the taxes i paid a hotel after

Customer Question
I've been there over 30...
Am i entitled to a refund of the taxes i paid a hotel after I've been there over 30 days in the state of CT
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
8/17/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

I checked with the CT dept of revenue and they pointed me to this

...

"Room Occupancy Tax: The room occupancy tax is imposed on a transfer for consideration of the occupancy of any room or rooms in a hotel or lodging house for 30 consecutive calendar days or less. The tax rate is 12% of the total rent received for occupancy of the room or rooms for up to 30 consecutive calendar days. Beginning on the 31st consecutive day of occupancy by the same person, the tax no longer applies. The term person includes, among others, any individual, firm, partnership, joint venture, association, social club, fraternal organization, corporation, limited liability company, or a Connecticut state agency, federal agency, or Connecticut municipal government agency."

...

I believe however, that since this was published (still good law) never been superceded, the rate has risen to 15%

...

What this tells us is that, yes, AFTER 30 days, you should not be charged ... but, so sorry, this would not cause a refund on the 31st day. Rather they should not be charging this AFTER thirty days have passed.

..

If they have charged the tax after the 30th day, THEN you can call the department of revenue and file a complaint if they refuse to refund any taxes charged AFTER 30 days.

...

YOu ca call the CT state department of revenue here: Monday through Friday:

• 1-***-***-**** (toll-free within Connecticut), or
  • ***-***-**** (from anywhere)

TTY, TDD, and Text Telephone users only may transmit inquiries 24 hours a day by calling(###) ###-####

I hope this has helped, let me know if you have questions...

...

Lane

...

If this HAS helped, your positive rating … (by clicking or touching the stars or smileys on your screen) … would be appreciated!That’s how we’re credited for the work here.

...

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS