How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to borrow $700,000 cash from my parents who is not a

Customer Question

Hi..I want to borrow $700,000 cash from my parents who is not a green card holder or U.S. citizen, I will be using this money to pay for my house that I am building, will this trigger an Audit from IRS
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question --- this will not trigger an audit at all, and there is not any reporting requirement provided you are going to pay the money back. If the loan is ever forgiven then you have a gift from them and you must fill out form 3520 -- nothing to worry about though because no tax is due as it is a gift. You just have to declare gifts from foreign persons over $100,000. If this is a loan, have a written loan agreement on file that way you can prove it's not a gift (if you don't file form 3520)

Please let me know if you need anything additional - if not please rate positive .

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Please rate positive so that I may receive credit for assisting you
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Please rate so that I may be paid, thanks --- even though the site has been paid, I am not credited until you rate.

Related Tax Questions