How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15308
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I owe the irs $11,000.00 back taxes and have ben

Customer Question

if I owe the irs $11,000.00 back taxes and have ben terminated will the irs negotiate my past due taxes to an affordable payoff amount.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


If you are asking if the IRS will renegotiate your current Installment Agreement because you have been terminated form your job, yes they can.
You will be required to complete another income and asset statement to show the reduced income you have now.

The best action to take would be to contact them (number on your last statement) and let the agent know what has happened.

The IRS specifically advises:
We have several options available if your ability to pay has changed and you are unable to make payments on your installment agreement or your offer in compromise agreement with the IRS. Call the IRS immediately at 1-***-***-****. Options could include reducing the monthly payment to reflect your current financial condition. You may be asked to provide proof of changes in your financial situation so have that information available when you call.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If you are asking about an Offer in Compromise instead, yes. An offer in compromise allows you to settle your tax debt for less than the full amount you owe. It may be a legitimate option if you can't pay your full tax liability, or doing so creates a financial hardship.

You must be current with all filing and payment requirements so you would not want to miss an Installment payment. You are not eligible if you are in an open bankruptcy proceeding. Use the Offer in Compromise Pre-Qualifier to confirm your eligibility and prepare a preliminary proposal.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know which you need more information about, the Installment or the OIC.