How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3004
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson, who is a college student, is our caregiver.

Customer Question

My grandson, who is a college student, is our caregiver. What are the things we need to do in order for us to claim the amount we are paying him on our income tax return?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.
The service (nursing, personal care, home care) has to be prescribed by your doctor as necessary because of your medical condition (plan of care). Second, the service should to be performed by a licensed professional or somebody who is qualified to perform such services. If you grandson is studying nursing or similar field of study and your doctor prescribe home care service or nursing service than you will be able to deduct what you paying him on your tax return as medical expense, with some limitations. This, however doesn't include housekeeping or other services not related to personal care.
I still see you Standing By but not responding. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.
I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?
And if you found my answers helpful, a Positive Rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.