Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My grandson, who is a college student, is our caregiver.

Customer Question
What are the things we...
My grandson, who is a college student, is our caregiver. What are the things we need to do in order for us to claim the amount we are paying him on our income tax return?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/13/2015
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 years ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.
The service (nursing, personal care, home care) has to be prescribed by your doctor as necessary because of your medical condition (plan of care). Second, the service should to be performed by a licensed professional or somebody who is qualified to perform such services. If you grandson is studying nursing or similar field of study and your doctor prescribe home care service or nursing service than you will be able to deduct what you paying him on your tax return as medical expense, with some limitations. This, however doesn't include housekeeping or other services not related to personal care.
I still see you Standing By but not responding. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.
I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?
And if you found my answers helpful, a Positive Rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser