How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3166
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need to find out if someone has claimed me as a dependent

Customer Question

I need to find out if someone has claimed me as a dependent without my permission as it is interfering with my much needed benefits. This is a possible life-threatening situation if I cannot get this cleared up soon.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 2 years ago.
Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.
There are only two ways to find out if you were claimed on somebody else's return.
You e-file your own tax return and if it is rejected you will get a rejection code that will tell you that your social security number had been used as dependent on somebody else's return or as a secondary taxpayer (spouse) on somebody else's return.
The other option is to call IRS. After verifying your identity, the agent will be able to tell you if your social security number had bee already used on an accepted tax return.
Let me know if you have any questions.