How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4515
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been holding a small mortgage years with a relative.

Customer Question

i have been holding a small mortgage for 12 years with a relative. It was a 25 year mortgage, with a no pre pay for 12 years. 12 years is up. they want to pay it off. my share is 325k i will get hit with 30% taxes plus unless there is a way to get aroud it?
There is no unified tax credit left, the building was given to us by our deceased father. We sold it 12 years ago for 1 million, 650k remains in principle. We were set up as an S corp, no reason for that now, there was in the past. The mortgage has paid the S corp and the s corp distributes the $ to us monthly
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

If you sold the s shares after inheritance, wouldn't you have a step up in basis? Does that eliminate the gain?

If that answers your question, positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.