How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15608
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What can I do if there's a levy on my wages taxes?

Customer Question

What can I do if there's a levy on my wages for back taxes?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.

Depending on the tax agency that placed the levy, there may be little you can do.

If a levy on your wages, bank account or other property is causing a hardship you should contact the IRS at the telephone number on the levy or correspondence immediately and explain your financial situation.
If the IRS determines the levy is creating an immediate economic hardship, the levy may be released.
A levy release does not mean you are exempt from paying the balance. The IRS will work with you to establish payment plans or take other steps to help you pay off the balance.

Most states have this provision as well.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Did you need clarification?