How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29798
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Maybe, I liquidated a utma account daughter in 2013. There

Customer Question

maybe, I liquidated a utma account for my daughter in 2013. There was a long term loss on the account but now the IRS is saying the net is taxable to my daughter, is this possible ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 2 years ago.

The distribution will be reported as taxable for your daughter - because that is HER account - not yours.
You are the custodial for that account - but not the owner.
So for that distribution - a reporting form will be issued in your daughter's name and her SSN.
And your daughter might be required to file the tax return depending what exactly is reported.
If she realizes a loss - that would be calculated on her tax return - and there would not be any tax liability while reporting might be needed.

However if your daughter would not report that transaction - the IRS might not know whether your daughter a gain or loss - and might think she has a gain...
So that might be a matter of reporting not a matter of having tax liability.