Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can you purchase a house in Florida, sell it to your own Real

Customer Question
Estate company for a loss...
Can you purchase a house in Florida, sell it to your own Real Estate company for a loss, then sell it back to yourself for a loss, then rent the home out to someone? Is this legal. Would someone be doing this to avoid paying capital gains tax?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
7/31/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Hi,.Your intuition is good... this has to do with what IRS calls related party rules (selling to yourself or a company you is, of course, the most highly related)..It's legal from a state law perspective, but IRS would (depending on the prices involved) likely call this income shifting. (a form of tax evasion)..
Sec. 267 was enacted to disallow certain losses and deductions on transactions between related taxpayers. Without such a provision, related parties could create fictitious tax losses that lack economic substance since the "family unit" (e.g., the related parties) continue to enjoy the property subject to the loss sale.
A “related party” is defined in Code Sec. 267 as including family members, a taxpayer and a corporation controlled directly or indirectly (through attribution from other family member stock holdings) by the taxpayer (more than 50% of the value of the stock), and a partner and a controlled (directly or indirectly) partnership. Sec. 267 also specifies other related parties, including a trust and its grantor, a trust and its beneficiary, and a personal services company and anyshareholder-employee.
I hope this has helped to clarify..Let me know if you have questions..If this HAS helped, I'd appreciate a positive rating, by clicking or touching, the smiles or stars on your screen ... that's the ONLY WAY I'm credited for the work here..Lane.
Let me know if my answer helped...
.
Lane
Hi,….I'm just checking back in to see how things are going.….Did my answer help?….Let me know…….Lane...
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS