How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Barbara Your Own Question
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3600
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Barbara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How much money can you make a year 2012 2013 2014 to not have

Customer Question

how much money can you make a year 2012 2013 2014 to not have to file a tax form?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Hello,Each year it is dependent on your filing status and income. For 2104 under 65 and single $10150.For 2012 Single $ 9,750For 2013 $10,000 Of course any year your self employment Gross (before expenses) is $400 or more you are required to file.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
Please advise if you need more information.
Expert:  Barbara replied 2 years ago.
Different expert here - My name is ***** ***** please allow me to provide you with clarification as well as additional information you will find helpful.
As to self-employment income, you are required to file a tax return if the NET amount (after expenses) is $400 or more.
Additionally, even though you may not be required to file a tax return, you may want to do so. If you have federal taxes withheld from your paycheck, the only way you can receive a refund when excessive amounts are withheld is if you file a tax return. For example, if you are a single taxpayer who earns $2,500 during the year, with $300 withheld for federal tax, then you are entitled to a refund for the entire $300 since you earned less than the income threshold to file a tax return. The IRS does not automatically issue refunds without a tax return being filed.
I hope this additional information is useful.
Thank you and best regards,