How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask USTaxAdvising Your Own Question
USTaxAdvising, CPA
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1237
Experience:  US Taxation specialist.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
USTaxAdvising is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Friday July 24th, 2015 I received a letter from city of Kansas

Customer Question

Friday July 24th, 2015 I received a letter from city of Kansas City Finance Department that I owe the amount of $2,716.68 in delinquent city earnings for the year of 2010. My husband and I have our accountant to do our taxes for over then 30 years now, and he has I never made a mistake. We always paid our taxes on time. This letter was issued on 07.15.2015 and it said that if we do not pay this amount by July 28, 2015, they will file suit against us for these taxes. Is this even legal to ask for taxes for 2010? These are city taxes assessed on my husband's wages, not business taxes. We called the revenue division, and they said that they could not find us for 5 years. This is not true, because we always called Platte county, Missouri for our property taxes for our rental property. I can send forward this letter to you. Please advise. Marina
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aré you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  USTaxAdvising replied 1 year ago.
Hello Marina,Sorry to hear of your situation. For Kansas, taxes have to be assessed by three years after the latest of: 1) the date the original return is filed; 2) the date the original return is due; or 3) the date the tax due on the return is paid. Taxes can also be assessed up to one year after an amended return is filed, if filed later than the dates above. So if they had in fact assessed the tax by 2014 (the 2010 return would have been due in 2011 and three years from then is 2014) they generally would have 10 years to impose collections against you. (IRS has a 10 year statute of limitations on collections so I am assuming Kansas City does as well).I would suggest calling the Kansas City Department of Finance and ask them for an extension of time to get your documents in order as 13 days is nearly not enough to go back 5 years and look through documents. Also ask them what exactly the tax assessed is for. You can then go to your accountant and ask if the tax is legit. He will most likely have all documents on file still and could easily answer the question. He will also most likely provide a response letter to the Kansas City Department of Finance (for a fee of course).I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions and I will get back to you as soon as I can.Best regards,